Friday, January 14, 2011

Untouchable

I find interesting the story in Luke chapter 5 that tells of a man who was covered with leprosy. This man came to Jesus begging “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean”.

Jesus healed many. Sometimes He simply spoke and healing came, as in the case of the Centurion’s servant. Sometimes He gave the person instructions to be followed as in the case of a man blind from birth. Jesus spit in the dirt, placed the mud on the man’s eyes and told him “Go wash in the Pool of Siloam.” The man did as he was told and was healed. Healing came to a woman who simply touched the hem of His garment.

My point is this, Jesus did not have to touch the man with leprosy, but He did. How very much that touch must have contained. Beyond the healing it said, “You have value, you are acceptable, you are touchable.” It had probably been a while since that man had felt a human touch. Persons with leprosy were looked upon as “dead” and not allowed to be among the people. If they were somehow healed, they went through a ceremonial purification process that allowed them back into fellowship among the living.

Jesus told this man, “Don’t tell anyone, but go show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them.”

Jesus does not shy away from coming into the unpleasant putrid parts of our lives to bring cleansing and healing. He left the pure holiness of Heaven to have the filthy sin of all mankind placed upon His purity. He traded our sin for His righteousness.

When I read this account of His willingness to reach out and touch the leper, I know His touch is available to me. It is available to all.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness Barbi, I had never thought about the leper in that way. That was a revelation to me. And yes, you should be blogging. You will be an inspiration to many. So many people are discouraged and hopeless, they need to know Jesus Christ will reach out to them. What a blessing sweet friend, I am tickled you are using a gift that obviously came from God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled you stumbled on to my blog, or I might have missed this post!
    What a beautiful perspective! The importance of touch had never occured to me. Not just from someone, but from The One!

    You definitely have a gift for writing. And from what I can see, a natural eye for photography!

    ReplyDelete