Monday, May 4, 2009

Reflections From The Proverbs: The First, The Best

The First, The Best
Proverbs Chapter Three:
9. Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the first-fruits of all your crops;
10. Then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.

King Solomon is passing on a wise teaching that began way back when God spoke to Moses in the wilderness. God said "Tell the Israelites this:"—then he goes on to say many things about many topics. He covered everything from personal injury cases to holidays. Included in this message from God to the Israelites was this directive: "Do not hold back offerings from your granaries or your vats. You must give me the firstborn of your sons. Do the same with your cattle and your sheep. This is found in Exodus 22:29. In Exodus 23:19 it says: Bring the best of the first-fruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.

God gave us his best. His first and his best. He gave us his first born son, his only son. He wants us to give back our best. 1Corinthians 15:20 says: But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the first-fruits of those who have fallen asleep.

When you plant a seed into the ground, it dies. Then by the miracle contained within it, resurrection happens and life bursts forth up out of the ground. Every crop that grows can be a picture of the resurrection. God made a big issue of the first-fruits. He even promised rewards for being mindful of his request to honor him with the first-fruits. God’s directives regarding first-fruits is a picture of what he planned to do by sending his son.

Life in the 21st century is vastly different from life in the days of Solomon or Moses. I don’t have any fields with crops growing, or vats of wine. I don’t have any cattle or sheep to give the firstborn from. Now that I have the full picture of what God has done for mankind in sending us His first-fruits, how do I give back what will honor Him?

In his letter to the Romans, Paul wrote: Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God–This is your spiritual act of worship. Rom.12:1 NIV

I can honor him by giving him me. I can honor him by giving him my time. Starting my day communing with him is giving him the first, the best part of my day. I can give a tithe back to Him from the increase of my labors. The words I write can honor him.

If God promises reward for honoring him with our first-fruits what do 21st century rewards look like?

Jesus said, "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. Luke 6:38
Give time, someone will find time for you. Give understanding, someone will have an understanding ear at your time of need. Give kindness, kindness will be shown to you. My barns will be filled with what I am willing to give.

Father God, help us to have generous hearts willing to give back to you the first-fruits of our lives. Help us to give to others with good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over.

No comments:

Post a Comment