Friday, February 6, 2009

Reflections From the Proverbs: Choose Life

Choose Life


Proverbs Chapter Two:
18. For her house leads down to death and her paths to the spirits of the dead.
19. None who go to her return or attain the paths of life.
This is a continuation of the caution against entering into adulterous situations. It vividly tells the consequences of succumbing to the seductions of the adulteress. Her house leads down to death, and her paths to the spirits of the dead. None who go to her return or attain the paths of life.
Let’s view this as we did yesterday continuing with the application of a spiritual type of adultery. Remember that God views allowing other "gods" in our life as spiritual adultery.
This sad ending is not what God desires for anyone. Listen to what Jesus said in John Chapter 8 verse 12: "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." Jesus came to bring light and life. What a contrast. Darkness and death, or light and life. Nothing else, no one else, can be what Jesus Christ is. No other path can lead to the path of life except His path.
In John Chapter 10 verse 9-10: "I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
God not only desires a different path for us, He became the path Himself. He tells us I am the way, the truth and the life. He says I am the gate. He says I am the light of the world. The other "gods" that we allow into our lives have no ability to provide for us a path to life.

I like the King James Version of verse 10 : I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.. Abundant life. The exact opposite of a path that leads to death. If we could really understand how incredible these words are we would run to Him. If we could really trust that it is His heart’s desire to give us abundant life we would run and not look back nor look to the left or to the right. We would run and embrace Him as Lord.

I think that Paul had some understanding of this "abundant life" when he wrote in Ephesians 3:20 ; Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us. NIV

I believe that it is God’s plan for us to have lives filled with excitement and surprises. I believe that it is His desire that our relationships be alive and fun and fulfilling. And, I believe it is God’s plan for our work to be meaningful and productive. With Him at the helm it will be.

I pray that all who read this will seek and find your open arms. I ask, Lord, that you show us a glimpse of the wonderful abundant life you have planned for us. You are all about life. It is our enemy who stalks around seeking to destroy. God you are worthy of our submission and obedience. I pray that all will choose life.

No comments:

Post a Comment