Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Reflections From The Proverbs: From His Mouth

From His Mouth

Proverbs Chapter Two
6. For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. NIV


As humans we cannot grasp the depth of wisdom. What comes from His mouth can be nothing less than pure wisdom and great power. Looking back to Genesis to the account of creation it says: And God said, "Let there be light," And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water. And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place. And God said, "let the land produce vegetation. And God said, "let there be lights in the sky". And God said, "let the water teem with living creatures and let birds fly above the earth And God said, let the land produce living creatures after their kinds.
All these things were spoken into existence. The wisdom and power that came from the mouth of God created all that we see around us.
All around us God has given us His letter of recommendation that He is the authority of wisdom. From the dainty hummingbird that hovers at my feeder like a tiny helicopter to the lovely butterfly that last year was a not so lovely worm. From the spinning of our world that brings a sunrise and sunset each day to the moon that changes location and shape from night to night. Everything I see has His stamp of intelligence and wisdom all over it.
From the account of creation we go on to accounts of the Holy God speaking to man. He spoke to Adam, He spoke to Noah. He spoke to Abraham. He spoke to Joseph. He spoke to Moses, and He wrote down His words on tablets of stone for us. He spoke to the prophets.
The prophet Jeremiah had a conversation with God that went something like this:
"Jeremiah, before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you a prophet to the nations."
"Ah, Sovereign Lord, I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."
"Jeremiah, do not say, "I am only a child". You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them for I am with you and will rescue you."
Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched Jeremiah’s mouth and said, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.
I like what the scriptures say about Samuel: The Lord was with Samuel as he grew up, and he let none of his words fall to the ground. Samuel understood that what comes from the mouth of God is true and has value and power.
The last point I want to make from this verse is that the Lord gives wisdom. He is a very giving God. It is His desire to give us wisdom. If we want to learn music we go to a master of music to learn. If we want to learn a sport, we go to a master of that sport to learn and become proficient. If we want wisdom, we must go to the wisdom master. I pray that we will be a people with a heart that treasures the words of His mouth and is hungry for His wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment